Locked-in syndrome is a nightmarish condition where you are awake but you have no voluntary control over your muscles. You are totally conscious but also completely paralyzed, unable to move or communicate in any way except, in some cases, by blinking your eyes. Fortunately, locked-in syndrome is extremely rare.
Locked-out syndrome occurs when you have full control over your body, but your mind is not aware that your body exists. Or, if aware, you obsessively pretend that it doesn’t. You are locked out of your body.
Tens of millions of people have been stricken by locked-out syndrome, particularly in countries with high levels of conservative religiosity.
Watch for These Symptoms!
Symptoms do vary by country and culture, but they can include:
- Intense shame associated with our bodies.
- A particular obsession with women’s bodies. For the most extremely locked out, a belief that women should cover their hair, arms, legs. For the somewhat less locked out, severe psychological reaction to anything that confirms that women have nipples. Pubic hair: forget it.
- Prohibiting displays of public indecency, such as breastfeeding.
- Hysterical reactions to the thought of children and young adults learning age-appropriate things about physical pleasure, sexuality, birth control, and sexual decision-making and communication. (And subsequently not noticing when you end up with high rates of sexually-transmitted infections, sexual assault, unwanted pregnancies, or people stuck in sexually unsatisfying relationships.)
- Refusal to freely provide safe and effective means of birth control.
- A belief that those same women to whom you’ve denied sex education or birth control should not have the right to obtain an abortion when many of them become pregnant against their wishes.
- Taking as more important the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of a country than its GSP (Gross Sexual Pleasure) or misunderstanding that term and thinking sexual pleasure is gross.
- Castigating masturbation as shameful and sinful.
- Slicing off or sewing up the genitals of girls in the name of tradition.
- A pathological refusal to imagine that being physically attracted to someone of your same sex is as healthy as attraction to someone of the other sex.
- Blaming sexual assault on the victims.
- Oh, and for men, wonderful escape clauses from all of the above particularly if you are in a position of economic, political, or religious power.
Join Those Who Are Working to Prevent Locked-Out Syndrome
Luckily for us all, there are women and men who are working hard to prevent locked-out syndrome. The incredible thing is that to support them you don’t even have to wear a ribbon!
But you do need to:
- speak out against (and vote out of office!) politicians who suffer from this syndrome or act as insipid mouthpieces for those who spread this filthy disease;
- encourage healthy and positive sexuality education in schools;
- support the accessibility of safe and effective means of birth control and abortion with the costs covered under public health care;
- guarantee that everyone has the same legal rights – to marriage, property, adoption, inheritance – regardless of who their body and mind are attracted to (assuming, of course, there is mutual consent);
- support legal reforms, public education campaigns, and training of police, judges, teachers, health-care providers, and religious authorities to end sexual and physical violence, child marriages, and harmful traditional practices such as female genital cutting;
- financially and verbally support organizations in your community that are working to prevent locked-out syndrome.
Guys Guide to Feminism…The Talk
Yes, you’ve heard the rumors: Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling are teaming up with Steven Spielberg to make the movie version of this year’s indie-hit book. Ah, rumors… Which brings us to the reason for
"Guy’s Guide to Feminism … The Talk" because this is exactly how you’ll get co-author Michael Kaufman to your campus or community for an incomparable night of humor, serious conversation, story-telling, and hard-hitting analysis. Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
MICHAEL’S FACEBOOK PAGE
The Possibility of Dreaming on a Night Without Stars
First published by Viking/Penguin, now out as an eBook for Kindle, Apple iBook, Kobo, Nook, and other tablets. Click here to read reviews, download a free excerpt, or order today
- In Australia on the Path to Greatness
- The Real Republican Strategy: Crazy Like Foxes?
- Do Men Hate Women? (Talking About Misogyny)
- Education after Steubenville: The 4 Rules of Sexual Consent
- International Women’s Day….A Letter of Love From Men
- Thousands Gathering at United Nations With One Message: End Violence Against Women & Girls!
- Feminism: Helping Men Be Free
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Fine, But Here are 6 Keys to Good Relationships!
- Men: Which Side Will You Be On? Sexual Violence in India
- Eight Steps to Presidential Greatness
- Republican Party Rape Advisory Chart
- What is Healthy Masculinity?
- Rape & Women’s Voice
- Saudi Arabia: How About a Segregated City for Men?
- Olympic Dreams, Olympic Myths
- LOCKED-OUT SYNDROME STRIKES WOMEN & MEN!
- My Message in the British Parliament: Women Should No Longer Stand Alone
- International Women’s Day…A Letter of Love From Men
- Men for Women’s Choice
- The Five Reasons Why Men Should Control Women’s Reproduction
- APOLOGIES (To Anyone Who May Be Offended By This Blog)
- Killing in the Name of Honor
- Why Are (Some) Men Still Afraid of Feminism?
- The Astoundingly Simple Truth About Masculinity and Goodness
- Men and the Search for Love
- White Ribbon: 20 Years, 1000s of Campaigns to End Violence Against Women
- White Ribbon Campaign: 20 Years Working to End Violence Against Women
- Occupy Minds, Not Real Estate! (And Set Up a Much-Bigger Tent)
- The 0-0-0 Plan for Ending Sexual Harassment!
- In Norway, Gender Equality DOES Extend to the Bedroom
- Occupy the Future! (The 8 Keys to Being the 99%)
- The Guy’s Guide To Feminism
- Soften Up, Men!
- The Two September 11s
- A Man With The Greatest of Hearts: Jack Layton, 1950-2011
- London Burning, Governments Cutting, Wall Street Plunging
- Terror in Norway: An Extraordinary Letter from Oslo
- Summer Sports: Women Rock, Fathers Weep
- 9 Steps to a REAL Father’s Day
- SlutWalk: Anger, Celebration & the Conversation We Need to Have
- Letter from Scotland
- The Stupification of America . . . and Beyond
- An Open Letter from God to Sarah Palin
- The Top Ten List You Wouldn’t Want to Be On
- Nuclear Manhood
- Signs of Hope in Istanbul
- International Women’s Day…a Letter of Love From Men
- Julian Assange: Hero? Creep? Victim? Victimizer?
- Italian Men, Berlusconi, & the Forward March of Women
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Nice, But Dish Out the Respect!
- Hear the Sound of Freedom!
- Why Protests Keep Spreading
- The End of Men
- People as Political Props: the Real State of the Union
- Amazing White Ribbon Campaigns in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific … and Antarctica
- December 6, 1989: The Day Canada Changed Forever
- Interview on engaging men to promote gender equality
- Watch Michael on “Men’s Room”
- Letter from Rio de Janeiro
- US Campus Men’s Conference
- The One Thing We Really Should Do This New Year
- Letter from Riga, Latvia
- Letter from Italy
- Letter from Istanbul, Turkey
- Letter from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
- New Approaches for Ending Sexual Harassment at Work
- Letter from India
- An Act of Collective Love: Why Men Are Working to End Violence Against Women
- Manhood and War
- Letter from China
- Free Book Download: “Cracking the Armour: Power, Pain and the Lives of Men”
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- New Web Site With New Resources
- Building a Movement of Men Working to End Violence Against Women
- The White Ribbon Campaign – Breaking Men’s Silence To End Men’s Violence – Statement of Principles
- The 7 P’s of Men’s Violence
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- Being a man doesn’t have to be a struggle
- Men must abandon notion they are violent by nature
- No public Twitter messages.