On Sunday, an Afghani man, woman, and their son, who since 2007 have been permanent residents of Canada, were convicted of murdering the family’s three daughters and the man’s first wife. The women’s “crime”: the teenaged girls had brought supposed “dishonor” to their family by the way they dressed and the boys they liked. (See CBC news.) In remembrance of and to honor the murdered women — Zainab Shafia, 19, Sahar Shafia, 17, Geeti Shafia, 13, and Rona Amir — this week’s blog is an excerpt on “Honor Killing” from The Guy’s Guide to Feminism, co-written by Michael Kaufman and Michael Kimmel.
How could murder ever be seen as honorable? How could something that brings shame and dishonor to families, communities, and nations be confused with honor and dignity?
It happens if we have a society where men think it is their right and their duty to control women, in particular, their sexuality.
We’ve had honor killings in North America – such as in the southern United States in the decades after the Civil War where a black man could be lynched for so much as looking at a white woman. Such killings were obviously racist murders, but they were also based on the belief that (white) women were the property of (white) men.
We’ve had honor killings in Brazil and other countries when a jilted husband murders his wife and her lover. Supposedly, such was the only way to restore his honor.
We have honor killings (even if not called that) right here at home when a man murders his ex-wife or ex-girlfriend. We have them when a young man kills another young man to prove he isn’t gay. They, too, feel they are restoring their honor.
But the honor killings that are in the news these days happen in some predominately Muslim countries. They happen when women are seen as men’s property. They have happened when a young woman defies her parents and dates or marries a man of her own choosing. They have even happened when a young woman has been raped. It such cases some fathers and brothers feel it is their right to murder this young woman who, supposedly, has brought dishonor to their family.
Such murders are illegal although, until recently, were often tolerated. Now as more and more Muslim women and men speak out, such crimes are being challenged.
It is important that all of us speak out, united across nations and creeds.
Murder = Murder.
Guys Guide to Feminism…The Talk
Yes, you’ve heard the rumors: Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling are teaming up with Steven Spielberg to make the movie version of this year’s indie-hit book. Ah, rumors… Which brings us to the reason for
"Guy’s Guide to Feminism … The Talk" because this is exactly how you’ll get co-author Michael Kaufman to your campus or community for an incomparable night of humor, serious conversation, story-telling, and hard-hitting analysis. Get in touch: email@example.com
MICHAEL’S FACEBOOK PAGE
The Possibility of Dreaming on a Night Without Stars
First published by Viking/Penguin, now out as an eBook for Kindle, Apple iBook, Kobo, Nook, and other tablets. Click here to read reviews, download a free excerpt, or order today
- In Australia on the Path to Greatness
- The Real Republican Strategy: Crazy Like Foxes?
- Do Men Hate Women? (Talking About Misogyny)
- Education after Steubenville: The 4 Rules of Sexual Consent
- International Women’s Day….A Letter of Love From Men
- Thousands Gathering at United Nations With One Message: End Violence Against Women & Girls!
- Feminism: Helping Men Be Free
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Fine, But Here are 6 Keys to Good Relationships!
- Men: Which Side Will You Be On? Sexual Violence in India
- Eight Steps to Presidential Greatness
- Republican Party Rape Advisory Chart
- What is Healthy Masculinity?
- Rape & Women’s Voice
- Saudi Arabia: How About a Segregated City for Men?
- Olympic Dreams, Olympic Myths
- LOCKED-OUT SYNDROME STRIKES WOMEN & MEN!
- My Message in the British Parliament: Women Should No Longer Stand Alone
- International Women’s Day…A Letter of Love From Men
- Men for Women’s Choice
- The Five Reasons Why Men Should Control Women’s Reproduction
- APOLOGIES (To Anyone Who May Be Offended By This Blog)
- Killing in the Name of Honor
- Why Are (Some) Men Still Afraid of Feminism?
- The Astoundingly Simple Truth About Masculinity and Goodness
- Men and the Search for Love
- White Ribbon: 20 Years, 1000s of Campaigns to End Violence Against Women
- White Ribbon Campaign: 20 Years Working to End Violence Against Women
- Occupy Minds, Not Real Estate! (And Set Up a Much-Bigger Tent)
- The 0-0-0 Plan for Ending Sexual Harassment!
- In Norway, Gender Equality DOES Extend to the Bedroom
- Occupy the Future! (The 8 Keys to Being the 99%)
- The Guy’s Guide To Feminism
- Soften Up, Men!
- The Two September 11s
- A Man With The Greatest of Hearts: Jack Layton, 1950-2011
- London Burning, Governments Cutting, Wall Street Plunging
- Terror in Norway: An Extraordinary Letter from Oslo
- Summer Sports: Women Rock, Fathers Weep
- 9 Steps to a REAL Father’s Day
- SlutWalk: Anger, Celebration & the Conversation We Need to Have
- Letter from Scotland
- The Stupification of America . . . and Beyond
- An Open Letter from God to Sarah Palin
- The Top Ten List You Wouldn’t Want to Be On
- Nuclear Manhood
- Signs of Hope in Istanbul
- International Women’s Day…a Letter of Love From Men
- Julian Assange: Hero? Creep? Victim? Victimizer?
- Italian Men, Berlusconi, & the Forward March of Women
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Nice, But Dish Out the Respect!
- Hear the Sound of Freedom!
- Why Protests Keep Spreading
- The End of Men
- People as Political Props: the Real State of the Union
- Amazing White Ribbon Campaigns in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific … and Antarctica
- December 6, 1989: The Day Canada Changed Forever
- Interview on engaging men to promote gender equality
- Watch Michael on “Men’s Room”
- Letter from Rio de Janeiro
- US Campus Men’s Conference
- The One Thing We Really Should Do This New Year
- Letter from Riga, Latvia
- Letter from Italy
- Letter from Istanbul, Turkey
- Letter from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
- New Approaches for Ending Sexual Harassment at Work
- Letter from India
- An Act of Collective Love: Why Men Are Working to End Violence Against Women
- Manhood and War
- Letter from China
- Free Book Download: “Cracking the Armour: Power, Pain and the Lives of Men”
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- New Web Site With New Resources
- Building a Movement of Men Working to End Violence Against Women
- The White Ribbon Campaign – Breaking Men’s Silence To End Men’s Violence – Statement of Principles
- The 7 P’s of Men’s Violence
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- Being a man doesn’t have to be a struggle
- Men must abandon notion they are violent by nature
- No public Twitter messages.