The Occupy movement has been an amazing success. It started a broad public discussion on social inequality. On who controls our economies and governments. On who controls our public spaces. It quickly spread around the world.
Right now, though, it risks getting trapped in its single tactic. And, ironically, it risks getting trapped in fetishizing one of the things that the very people it criticizes love so much: real estate!
Occupying public spaces was a brilliant idea. It was mediagenic. It was simple. And by choosing to occupy public spaces around business centers, it made clear (or at least raised) the point that it should be the majority, not a tiny minority, that makes the decisions that shape our lives.
But the positive impact is fizzling. I don’t doubt the determination, grit, and energy of the Occupy participants. I do know, however, that tent cities can’t and shouldn’t last forever. Nor will battles provoked by the police give many people a sense that this movement is something they can personally relate to. Nor does it give people a sense they have the power to change the world.
The time has come to declare victory on the first stage of the occupy movement. To say, “we got this conversation going. Now it’s time to pack up these particular tents and set up a much bigger tent!”
Where should that tent be and who should be in it? If we’re serious about the language of the 99% then, as I’ve blogged recently (“Occupy the Future! The 8 Keys for Being the 99%”), the goal must be to become the majority.
I argued there are 8 keys to doing so. I won’t repeat the details, but here are the main points:
- Whether you’ve been active in the Occupy movement or, like millions more, cheered from farther away, the goal must be to make the many Occupy issues totally mainstream issues.
- Mainstream, yes, but don’t get stuck on what is currently “realistic.” What’s so “realistic” about wars and tossing people out of their houses and workplaces? We need to redefine what is “realistic.”
- We must create bridges to the mainstream. It’s all of our responsibilities to reach out to the 99% . To raise these issues in our workplaces, schools, professional associations, places of worship, governments, seniors homes, shopping centers, clubs, etc. etc. To find language that connects with others.
- This in turn requires finding common cause with people and organizations we might disagree with on many issues.
- Celebrate the victory in creating this conversation. Don’t get stuck on holding real estate.
- Explore alternatives. Start a broad and well-thought out discussions about economic democracy, sustainability, equality, and so forth.
- Disagree with anyone who preaches violence or the destruction of property. If anyone starts breaking windows, Occupy is the loser.
- Trust our capacity to win over the great majority. Trust our capacity to model respect and compassion. Trust our ability to build bridges. Trust we can truly be the 99%
Guys Guide to Feminism…The Talk
Yes, you’ve heard the rumors: Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling are teaming up with Steven Spielberg to make the movie version of this year’s indie-hit book. Ah, rumors… Which brings us to the reason for
"Guy’s Guide to Feminism … The Talk" because this is exactly how you’ll get co-author Michael Kaufman to your campus or community for an incomparable night of humor, serious conversation, story-telling, and hard-hitting analysis. Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
MICHAEL’S FACEBOOK PAGE
The Possibility of Dreaming on a Night Without Stars
First published by Viking/Penguin, now out as an eBook for Kindle, Apple iBook, Kobo, Nook, and other tablets. Click here to read reviews, download a free excerpt, or order today
- In Australia on the Path to Greatness
- The Real Republican Strategy: Crazy Like Foxes?
- Do Men Hate Women? (Talking About Misogyny)
- Education after Steubenville: The 4 Rules of Sexual Consent
- International Women’s Day….A Letter of Love From Men
- Thousands Gathering at United Nations With One Message: End Violence Against Women & Girls!
- Feminism: Helping Men Be Free
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Fine, But Here are 6 Keys to Good Relationships!
- Men: Which Side Will You Be On? Sexual Violence in India
- Eight Steps to Presidential Greatness
- Republican Party Rape Advisory Chart
- What is Healthy Masculinity?
- Rape & Women’s Voice
- Saudi Arabia: How About a Segregated City for Men?
- Olympic Dreams, Olympic Myths
- LOCKED-OUT SYNDROME STRIKES WOMEN & MEN!
- My Message in the British Parliament: Women Should No Longer Stand Alone
- International Women’s Day…A Letter of Love From Men
- Men for Women’s Choice
- The Five Reasons Why Men Should Control Women’s Reproduction
- APOLOGIES (To Anyone Who May Be Offended By This Blog)
- Killing in the Name of Honor
- Why Are (Some) Men Still Afraid of Feminism?
- The Astoundingly Simple Truth About Masculinity and Goodness
- Men and the Search for Love
- White Ribbon: 20 Years, 1000s of Campaigns to End Violence Against Women
- White Ribbon Campaign: 20 Years Working to End Violence Against Women
- Occupy Minds, Not Real Estate! (And Set Up a Much-Bigger Tent)
- The 0-0-0 Plan for Ending Sexual Harassment!
- In Norway, Gender Equality DOES Extend to the Bedroom
- Occupy the Future! (The 8 Keys to Being the 99%)
- The Guy’s Guide To Feminism
- Soften Up, Men!
- The Two September 11s
- A Man With The Greatest of Hearts: Jack Layton, 1950-2011
- London Burning, Governments Cutting, Wall Street Plunging
- Terror in Norway: An Extraordinary Letter from Oslo
- Summer Sports: Women Rock, Fathers Weep
- 9 Steps to a REAL Father’s Day
- SlutWalk: Anger, Celebration & the Conversation We Need to Have
- Letter from Scotland
- The Stupification of America . . . and Beyond
- An Open Letter from God to Sarah Palin
- The Top Ten List You Wouldn’t Want to Be On
- Nuclear Manhood
- Signs of Hope in Istanbul
- International Women’s Day…a Letter of Love From Men
- Julian Assange: Hero? Creep? Victim? Victimizer?
- Italian Men, Berlusconi, & the Forward March of Women
- Valentine’s Day: Flowers Are Nice, But Dish Out the Respect!
- Hear the Sound of Freedom!
- Why Protests Keep Spreading
- The End of Men
- People as Political Props: the Real State of the Union
- Amazing White Ribbon Campaigns in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific … and Antarctica
- December 6, 1989: The Day Canada Changed Forever
- Interview on engaging men to promote gender equality
- Watch Michael on “Men’s Room”
- Letter from Rio de Janeiro
- US Campus Men’s Conference
- The One Thing We Really Should Do This New Year
- Letter from Riga, Latvia
- Letter from Italy
- Letter from Istanbul, Turkey
- Letter from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
- New Approaches for Ending Sexual Harassment at Work
- Letter from India
- An Act of Collective Love: Why Men Are Working to End Violence Against Women
- Manhood and War
- Letter from China
- Free Book Download: “Cracking the Armour: Power, Pain and the Lives of Men”
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- New Web Site With New Resources
- Building a Movement of Men Working to End Violence Against Women
- The White Ribbon Campaign – Breaking Men’s Silence To End Men’s Violence – Statement of Principles
- The 7 P’s of Men’s Violence
- Better Fathering Will Help End Violence
- Being a man doesn’t have to be a struggle
- Men must abandon notion they are violent by nature
- No public Twitter messages.